East Drayton, Nottinghamshire
Drayton, East, a village and a parish in Notts, on an affluent of the river Trent, 3½ miles NE of Tuxford railway station, and 7 SE of East Relford. Post town, Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Tuxford. Acreage of the civil parish, 1555; population, 187; of the ecclesiastical, which includes Stokeham, 222. The living is a rectory, united with Stokeham, in the diocese of Southwell; joint net value, £250. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church is ancient, and has a tower, and the interior was completely restored in 1873. There is a Wcsleyan chapel. Drayton, Fen. See FEN DRAYTON. Drayton, Fenny. See FENNY DRAYTON. Drayton Green, a hamlet, now forming a part of Ealing, in Middlesex.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Drayton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Drayton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Drayton, East (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Drayton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.