East Bridgford, Nottinghamshire
Bridgford, East, a small village and a parish in Notts. The village stands near the Fosse Way and on the river Trent, 3 miles N of Bingham, and 9 ENE of Nottingham, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The nearest station is at Lowdham (2 miles) on the M.R. It occupies the site of the Roman Margidunum, and is sometimes called Bridgford-on-the-Hill. The civil parish comprises 1943 acres; population, 866. An abundant supply of fine gypsum is obtained here. Roman coins and other Roman relics have been found on Castle Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £400 with residence. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church is in the Perpendicular style, and was reseated and partially restored in 1862. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and a temperance hall, built in 1883 to hold 300 people.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Bridgford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Bridgford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bridgford, East (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1904
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Bridgford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.