Dunham, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands on the river Trent, 5 miles ENE of Tuxford railway station, and 10 SEofEastRetford. It was once a market-town, and has a post office, of the name of Dunham-on-Trent, under Newark; money order and telegraph office, Newton-on-Trent. Area of the parish, 1065 acres; population of the civil parish, 280; of the ecclesiastical parish, including Darlton and Ragnall, 586. The land lies low, and much of it is subject to inundation. A cast-iron bridge over the Trent was erected in 1832 by Leather, at a cost of about £20,000, and has four arches, each 118 feet in span, and a total length of 563 feet. The living is a vicarage, united with the perpetual curacy of Darlton and chapelry of Rag-nall, in the diocese of Southwell; value, £235 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is a building in the Decorated style, with a lofty tower. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dunham St. Oswald|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dunham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dunham (St. Oswald))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.