Cuckney, a township and a parish in Notts. The town stands 5½ miles S by W of Worksop, 7 NE of Mansfield, and 3 from Langwith station on the M.R., and was once a market-town. It has a post and money order office under Mansfield; telegraph office, Warsop. Acreage of the township, 1120; population, 506. The parish contains the townships of Norton, Holbeck, and Nether Langwith, and bears the name of Norton-Cuckney. Population, 1405. The Duke of Portland is lord of the manor. There are limestone quarries. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of South-well; net value, £189 with residence. Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is old but good, and there is a chapel of ease and a Wesleyan preaching-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cuckney St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Worksop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cuckney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cuckney, or Norton-Cuckney (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cuckney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.