Cropwell Bishop, Nottinghamshire
Cropwell Bishop, a village and a parish in Notts, on the Fosse Way, the Grantham Canal, and the river Smite, 4¼ miles SW of Bingham railway station, and 9 ESE of Nottingham, with a post office under Nottingham; money order office, Radcliffe-on-Trent; telegraph office, Cropwell Butler. Acreage, 1647; population, 575. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church, which was reseated and refurnished in 1893, has a very fine embattled western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and lime works and brickfields.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cropwell Bishop St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cropwell Bishop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cropwell, Bishop (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cropwell Bishop are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.