Fen Drayton, Cambridgeshire
Fen Drayton, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire, 2 miles SW from Swavesey station on the G.E.R., and 4 SE from St Ives, with a post office under St Ives; money order and telegraph office, Fenstanton. Acreage, 1492, population, 297. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Ely; net value, £150. Patron, Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is a building of stone with one aisle, chiefly in the Perpendicular style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fen Drayton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fen Drayton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Drayton, Fen (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Fen Drayton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.