Cromwell, a parish in Notts, on the river Trent and the G.N.R., 2 miles S of Carlton railway station, and 5 N of Newark. It has a post and money order office under Newark; telegraph office, Carlton-on-Trent railway station. Acreage, 1423; population, 142. The manor formerly belonged to the Earls of Clare, but the Duke of Newcastle is now lord of the manor and principal landowner. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Newcastle. The church is old, and the interior was thoroughly restored in 1873 at the expense of the rector and ratepayers.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cromwell St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cromwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cromwell (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cromwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.