Cotgrave, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands adjacent to the Grantham Canal, near the Fosse Way, 3¼ miles S of Radcliffe station on the Nottingham and Grantham railway, and has a post office under Nottingham; money order and telegraph office, Radcliffe. The parish includes also the hamlet of Stragglethorpe. Acreage, 3698; population, 702. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £600 with residence. Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is ancient, has a spire, and is very good. There are Wesleyan and United Methodist chapels, and a library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cotgrave All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cotgrave from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cotgrave (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cotgrave are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.