Costock or Cortlingstock, Nottinghamshire
Costock or Cortlingstock, a village and a parish in Notts, on an affluent of the river Soar, 5 miles from the M.R. station at Loughborough, and 6 from the L. & N.W.R. station in the same town, with a post office under Lough-borough; money order office, East Leake; telegraph office, Rempstone. Acreage, 1688; population, 287. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £181 with residence. The church is an ancient building erected about 1350, and restored in 1863.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Costock St. Giles|
|Poor Law union||Loughborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Costock or Cortlingstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Costock, or Cortlingstock (St. Giles))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.