UK Genealogy Archives logo

Colwick, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Colwick, a parish in Notts, on the river Trent, with a station called Netherfield and Colwick on the G.N.R., 2½ miles E of Nottingham. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Nottingham. Acreage, 1340; population, 480. Colwick Hall is the seat of the Musters family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £101 with residence. The church is good, and has monuments of the Musters and the Byrons.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishColwick St. John the Baptist 
Poor Law unionBasford 
WapentakeThurgarton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Colwick from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Colwick are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictGedling
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG4
Post TownNottingham