Coddington, a village and a parish in Notts, near the G.N.R., half a mile E of Newark, with a post and telegraph office under Newark; money order office, Newark. Acreage, 1970; population, 553. The Duke of Newcastle is lord of the manor. Coddington House and Goddington Hall are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £304 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell. The church was rebuilt in 1866. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a village library and reading-room for working men, national and Wesleyan schools, and Birche's Charity, left in 1738, producing about £90 per annum, which is applied mainly in supporting the schools.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Coddington All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Newark|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Coddington (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Coddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.