Clayworth, a township and a parish in Notts. The township lies on the Chesterfield Canal, 5½ miles from Ret-ford railway station. It includes the township of Wiseton and part of Drakeshole hamlet, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office, under Bawtry. Acreage of township, 2139; population, 446; of the ecclesiastical parish, 562. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £300. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, with a tower, and was entirely restored and refitted in 1875. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clayworth St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||East Retford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clayworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clayworth (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Clayworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.