Chilwell, a village and a township of the ecclesiastical parish of Attenborough, Notts, on the north bank of the river Trent, 4½ miles SW of Nottingham. The village is 1½ mile in length, Beeston station on the M.R. being at one end, and Attenborough station at the other. For parochial purposes the parish is known by the name of Chilwell, and contains an area of 1300 acres, with a population of 1013. It has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Beeston. Lace making is carried on, extensive nurseries employ a considerable part of the population, and there is also a brick manufactory. The ancient church of St Mary's, Attenborough, dates from the 13th century, and posseses a fine peal of bells and some good memorial windows. There is a Methodist New Connexion chapel, and a working men's reading and recreation room. Domesday Book shows that there were two villages here formerly, known as Chilwell and East Chilwell. Chilwell Hall, on the site of an ancient mansion, is the property and seat of the Charltons.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Shardlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chilwell from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Chilwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.