UK Genealogy Archives logo

Caythorpe, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Caythorpe, a small village and a township in Lowdham parish, Notts, near the river Trent, 5½ miles S of Southwell, 1 mile from Lowdham station on the M.R. Post town, Nottingham; money order and telegraph office, Lowdham. Population, 243. Malting is carried on, but the inhabitants are mostly employed in frame-work knitting. There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Civil parishLowdham 
Poor Law unionSouthwell 
WapentakeThurgarton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Caythorpe from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Caythorpe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictNewark and Sherwood
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG14
Post TownNottingham