Carlton in Lindrick, Nottinghamshire
Carlton-in-Lindrick, a parish in Notts, containing two villages, North and South Carlton, and the hamlet of Wig-thorpe. South Carlton stands 3 miles N of the M.S. & L.R. at Worksop, which is the nearest railway station. It was a place of some consequence before the Conquest, and has .1 post, money order, and telegraph office under Worksop. Acreage of the civil parish, 4054; population, 995; of the ecclesiastical, 970. The manor was given at the Conquest to Roger de Busli. Carlton Hall belonged formerly to the Cliftons and others, and passed to the Ramsdens. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £571 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is partly Norman, has a lofty square tower, and was reseated with oak in 1892. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a meeting-room for Plymouth Brethren.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Carlton-In-Lindrick St. John|
|Poor Law union||Worksop|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carlton in Lindrick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Carlton-In-Lindrick (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Carlton in Lindrick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.