UK Genealogy Archives logo

Eltisley, Cambridgeshire

Historical Description

Eltisley, a village and a parish in Cambridgeshire, contiguous with Hunts, 2¼ miles WNW of Caxton, and 5 E from St Neots station on the G.N.R. There is a post office under St Neots; money order and telegraph office, Caxton. Acreage, 1970; population, 438. A nunnery stood here in the Saxon time; is said to have been the burial-place of Pandionia, a Scottish princess, and was destroyed about the time of the Conquest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross value, £45. The church is an ancient building of stone, the principal part being of the Perpendicular style, but with a good specimen of Early English at the south entrance. It has a lofty embattled western tower and spire. There are also Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCambridgeshire 
Ecclesiastical parishEltisley St. Pandiania & St. John the Baptist 
HundredLongstow 
Poor Law unionCaxton and Arrington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Eltisley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Eltisley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.

DistrictSouth Cambridgeshire
CountyCambridgeshire
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtPE19
Post TownSt. Neots