Bole, a parish in the county of Nottingham, on the river Trent, and 2 miles SW of Gainsborough, under which it has a post office; money order and telegraph office, Sturton-le-Street, which is the station on the M.S. & L.R. Acreage, 1218; population of the civil parish, 177; of the ecclesiastical, including Saundby, 303. Lord Middleton is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage held with the rectory of Saundby, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £336 with residence. Patrons, the Bishops of Manchester and Lincoln alternately. The church is old. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bole St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Gainsborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bole from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bole (St. Martin))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bole are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.