Bleasby, a parish, with a village and a railway station, in Notts, on the river Trent and on the M.R., 4 miles SE of Southwell. It includes the hamlets of Gibsmere, Notown, and Goverton, and its post town is Southwell. Acreage, 1538; population of civil parish, 282; of the ecclesiastical, with Halloughton, 347. Bleasby Hall is the seat of the Kelhams. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Halloughton, in the diocese of Southwell; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient and very good. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bleasby St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bleasby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bleasby (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Bleasby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.