Elsworth, a parish in Cambridgeshire, near the boundary with Hunts, 3 miles NNE of Caxton, and 4 miles N from Old North Road station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post and money order office under St Ives; telegraph office, Caxton. Acreage, 3839; population 620. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, o£233 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church is a fine building of stone in the pure Decorated style, with a pinnacled tower. There are a Baptist chapel, and an almshouse for three persons.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elsworth Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Caxton and Arrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elsworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elsworth (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Elsworth are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.