UK Genealogy Archives logo

Beeston, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Beeston, a parish in Notts, on the M.R., adjacent to the river Trent, 3½ miles SW of Nottingham. It contains the hamlet of Beeston-Ryelands, and has a station on the railway and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Nottingham. Acreage, 1601; population, 6948. There is a large silk mill and considerable manufacture of lace and hosiery, and malting is carried on; there is also an iron foundry and large cycle works. The Nottingham Canal and the river Trent go through this parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £317 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is a handsome structure of 1844 (architect, Sir Gilbert Scott), conjoined to the old 15th century chancel. A handsome vicarage was built in 1861. There are a Baptist chapel, two Methodist chapels, and an institute for both men and women.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBeeston St. John the Baptist 
Poor Law unionBasford 
WapentakeBroxtow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Beeston from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Beeston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictBroxtowe
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG9
Post TownNottingham