Basford, a township and a parish in Nottinghamshire. For municipal requirements it is included in the county borough of Nottingham; for poor-rate it is in the union of Basford. Ecclesiastically two districts have been separated from the old parish, New Basford (population, 5408) and Carrington (population, 5622), leaving Old Basford, Whitemoor, Cinder Hill, and Dob Park to the parish church with the chapel of ease of Christ Church, Cinder Hill (population, 11,329). The township of Old Basford stands on the river Leen, 1½ mile NNW of Nottingham, with stations on the M.R. and G.N.R. The parish is a seat of the cotton hose and lace manufactures; has, besides, cotton and corn mills, bleaching and dyeing works, and the extensive gasworks belonging to the corporation of Nottingham. There are sub-offices of Nottingham post office at Old and New Basford and Carrington. The area of the civil parish is 2894 acres; population, 22,781. The workhouse of Basford Union, consisting of 44 parishes, stands on the confines of Basford and Bidwell parishes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £534 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Southwell. The church, dedicated to St Leodegvius, was enlarged in 1861. The chapel of ease, Cinder Hill, was built in 1856. The other churches are St John's, Carrington, and St Augustine's, New Basford. St Jude's, Mapperley, ministers to St Ann's, Nottingham, but includes a population in Basford of 302. There are twelve dissenting chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Basford St. Leodgarius|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Basford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Basford (St. Leodgarius))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.