Elm, a village and a parish in the Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire, on the Wisbech Canal, contiguous with Norfolk,. 2 miles SSE from Wisbech. The Coldham station of the G.E.R. is in this parish. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Wisbech. Acreage, 11,402; population of the civil parish, 1779; of the ecclesiastical, 789. An ancient earthwork goes hence toward Lincolnshire, and Roman urns and coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net value, £367 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is a large building of stone in the Early English style, and has a tower and spire. There-is a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities worth about £180 a year, and an endowed school with £70 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Elm All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wisbech|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Elm from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Elm (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Elm are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.