UK Genealogy Archives logo

Awsworth, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Awsworth, a chapelry and a hamlet in Nuttall parish, Notts, 6 miles NW of Nottingham, with a station on the G.N.R. Nottingham is the post town. Population, 1247. Most of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries, ironworks, and brickyards. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £200. The church is modern (1747), with sittings for 150, all free. There are Primitive Methodist and United Methodist Free Church chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Civil parishNuthall 
WapentakeBroxtow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Awsworth from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Awsworth are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictBroxtowe
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG16
Post TownNottingham