East Hatley, Cambridgeshire
Hatley, East, a parish in Cambridgeshire, adjacent to Beds, 2½ miles SE from Gamlingay station on the L. & N.W.R. and 7 NNW from Royston. Post town. Sandy money order and telegraph office, Gamlingay. Acreage½ 1189; population, 124. The manor belonged formerly to the Castell family, and belongs now to Downing College, Cambridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £87. Patron, Downing College, Cambridge. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, the oldest portion of which dates from 1200. It was restored in 1874.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Hatley St. Dennis|
|Poor Law union||Caxton and Arrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Hatley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hatley, East (St. Dennis))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of East Hatley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.