Averham, a village and a parish in Notts. The village lies on the Trent, adjacent to the G.N.R. and M.R., 2 miles W by N of Newark station. The parish includes also the township of Staythorpe, and its post town is Newark. Acreage, 2169; population of the civil parish, 139; of the ecclesiastical, 414. The manor belongs to the Manners-Sutton family. The living is a rectory, united with that of Kelham, in the diocese of Southwell; net value, £567. The church is good. The monument to Sir William Sutton records that he had sixteen children, one half of whom "Ushered to heaven their father; and the other Remained behind him to attend their mother." There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Averham St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Southwell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Averham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Averham (St. Michael))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Averham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.