Arnold, a village and a parish in Notts. The village stands near Sherwood Forest, 4 miles N of Nottingham, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Its inhabitants are employed chiefly in lace and stocking making. The parish includes also the hamlets of Red Hill and Day-brook, the latter of which has a station on the G.N.R., and the seats of Arne Vale, Arnot Hill, Red Hill Lodge, and Sherwood Lodge. Acreage, 4612; population, 7769. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; value, £180. The church is Early English, and has a tower. There are chapels for Congregationalists, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and four public schools, also a reading room and a free library. R. Bonnington the painter, born in 1801, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Arnold St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Basford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Arnold from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Arnold (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Arnold are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Nottinghamshire Guardian
- Nottingham Review and General Advertiser for the Midland Counties
- Nottingham Gazette, and Political, Literary, Agricultural & Commercial Register for the Midland Counties
The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.