UK Genealogy Archives logo

Annesley, Nottinghamshire

Historical Description

Annesley, a village and a parish in Notts, on the border of Sherwood Forest, with a station on the M.R., 6 miles SSW of Mansfield. The parish contains a portion of Annesley Woodhouse, and has a post and money order office under Nottingham. Acreage, 3125; population, 1374. Annesley Park was the birthplace of Mary Chaworth, the object of the early attachment of Lord Byron, celebrated in the poem of "The Dream." The manor belonged, for some time after the Conquest, to the Annesleys, now of Bletchingdon, who built a castle in the park, and a priory in Felley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Southwell; value, £36. There are two churches in the parish, an old one still in use, and of considerable interest, which adjoins the Hall, and a new one, built in 1874, to seat about 350, which stands well on a hill overlooking the colliery. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Methodists (Free Church), at Annesley Woodhouse. There is a colliery which affords employment to about 1000 hands.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNottinghamshire 
Ecclesiastical parishAnnesley All Saints 
Poor Law unionBasford 
WapentakeBroxtow 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Annesley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Nottinghamshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Annesley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Nottinghamshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Nottinghamshire 1569 & 1614 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictAshfield
CountyNottinghamshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtNG15
Post TownNottingham