Duxford, a parish in Cambridgeshire, on the river Cam, 1½ mile S from Whittlesford station on the G.E.R., and 6¼ miles W from Linton, with a post office under Cambridge; money order office, Whittlesford; telegraph office, Hinxton. Acreage, 3239; population, 777. Two parishes, St Peter and St John, were anciently in the area, but their boundary was never known, and they have always been treated as one parish both for civil and ecclesiastical purposes. The livings, which were respectively a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, were united in 1874; joint net yearly value, £487 with residence, in the gift of Clare College, Cambridge. Both churches are partly Norman. There is a Congregational chapel. The Red Lion Inn here is said to have been originally a priory, and there is an ancient chapel, now used as a barn.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Duxford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Duxford)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Duxford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.