Wreningham, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, adjoining Ashwellthorpe station on the G.E.R., and 4 miles SE by E of Wymondham. It has a post and money order office under Wymondham; telegraph office, Wymondham. Acreage, 1542; population of the civil parish, 435; of the ecclesiastical, with Ashwellthorpe, 814. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Baroness Berners. The living is a rectory, annexed to Ashwellthorpe, in the diocese of Norwich; joint gross value, £620 with residence. The church is a small and ancient building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, and has been restored. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wreningham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Henstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wreningham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wreningham, Great and Little (All Saints))
Online maps of Wreningham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.