Doddington, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Cambridgeshire. The village stands 1½ mile SW from Wim-blington station on the G.N. and G.E. junction railway, 4½ miles SSW from March, has a post, money order, and telegraph office under March, and was once a seat of the Bishops of Ely. Population of parish, 1366. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net value, £1200 with residence. Patron, Sir Algernon Peyton, Bart. The living was formerly the richest benefice in the kingdom, but by Acts passed in 1847 and 1856 it was divided into the seven rectories of Benwick, Doddington, Wimblington, March St Wendreda, March St Peter, March St John, and March St Mary. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style, and there are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. The workhouse for the North Witchford Union is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Doddington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||North Witchford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Doddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Doddington (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Doddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.