Westacre, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, 2½ miles ENE of Narborough station on the G.E.R., and 5 NW of Swaffham. Post town, Swaffham; money order and telegraph office, Castle Acre. Acreage, 3579; population, 416. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. A Black friary was founded here in the time of William Rufus by Ralph de Toney, went at the dissolution to Sir T. Gresham, and has left some remains. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £31. The church is a small building of stone in the Perpendicular style.
The register dates from the year 1668.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Westacre:
Church of England
All Saints (parish church)
The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, transept, north porch and embattled western tower containing one bell: the communion plate was presented by a member of the Barkham family, then residing at South Acre, in 1762: there are 176 sittings.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.