Coveney, a village and a parish in the Isle of Ely in Cambridgeshire. The village stands near the New Bedford river, 6 miles NW by W of Ely station on the G.E.R., and it has a post office under Ely; money order and telegraph office, Witchford. The parish includes also the hamlet of Wardy-Hill and the chapelry of Manea. Acreage, 3170; population, 435. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £140 with residence. The church is small but interesting, dating from the 13th century, and contains some curious old carved benches, a very fine ancient reredos in carved wood, and reproductions of scenes from the Passion in high relief, painted and gilded. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Coveney St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Ely|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coveney from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Coveney (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Coveney are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.