Welborne, a parish in Norfolk, 3½ miles NNE of Hardingham station on the G.E.R., and 6½ NNW of Wymondham. Post town, Dereham. Acreage, 753; population, 155. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £220 with residence. The church, an ancient building of flint in the Early English style, with a round tower, has been restored and a chancel built.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Welborne All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Forehoe|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Welborne:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Welborne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Welborne (All Saints))
Online maps of Welborne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.