Conington, a parish in Cambridgeshire, at the boundary with Huntingdonshire, 4 miles S from St Ives station on the G.E.R., G.N.R., and M.R., and 10 NW from Cambridge. Post town, St Ives; money order and telegraph office, Fen-stanton. Acreage, 1522; population, 150. Conington Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is an ancient edifice of brick and stone in mixed styles. The patronage and collation of the living was given to Hugo de Balsham, bishop of Ely, by Thomas de Eldsworth in 1283.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Conington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||St. Ives|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Conington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Conington (St. Mary))
- Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire, 1916
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Conington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.