Thurgarton, a parish in Norfolk, 5 miles from Gunton station on the G.E.R. Post town, Hanworth, under Norwich. Acreage, 972; population, 234. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Norwich. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; commuted value, £235 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is Decorated English.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thurgarton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Erpingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Thurgarton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thurgarton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thurgarton (All Saints))
Online maps of Thurgarton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.