Chesterton, a village and a parish which gives name to a hundred in Cambridgeshire. The village stands on the river Cam, adjacent to the G.E.R., 1 mile NNE of Cambridge; includes numerous new houses inhabited by persons engaged in business in Cambridge, and has a post and money order office (T.S.O.) The parish was constituted a local government district in 1880, and is governed by a local board of nine members. It has an area of 2795 acres; population, 7526. H.M. Prison and House of Correction is situated on Castle Hill, in this parish, and adjoining it is the Shire Hall, where the assizes and sessions for the county are held. The workhouse is a large brick building situated near the centre of the village, and is capable of accommodating 350 inmates. There is also an asylum for old members of friendly societies, which was opened in 1841. The industries of the parish include brewing, brick and tile-making, and boatbuilding. There are several handsome boathouses belonging to the university boating clubs on the banks of the river. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £345 with residence, in the gift of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is a large building of flint, chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles. St Luke's is a distinct parish formed in 1881. The church, a building of brick and stone in the Decorated style, was built in 1874. The living is a vicarage without endowment. There are Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels.
Chesterton, Parliamentary Division of Western Cambridgeshire was formed under the Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885, and returns one member to the House of Commons. Population, 46,108. The division includes the following: —Ely (part of) —Grunty Fen, Haddenham, Mepal, Stretham, Sutton, Wentworth, Wilburton, Witcham, Witchford; Cambridge —Barton, Boxworth, Chesterton, Childerley, Comberton, Conington, Coton, Cottenham, Dry Drayton, Fen Drayton, Girton, Grantchester, Hauxton, Harston, Histon, Impington, Landbeach, Lolworth, Longstanton (All Saints), Longstanton (St Michael), Madingley, Milton, Newton, Oak-ington, Over, Rampton, Shelford Great, Shelford Little, Stapleford, Swavesey, Trumpington, Waterbeach, Westwick, Willingham; Caxton —Bourn, Caldecot, Caxton, Croxton, Elsworth, Eitisley, Gamlingay, Gransden Little, Graveley, Hardwick, Kingston, Knapwell, Longstow, Papworth (Ever-ard), Papworth (St Agnes), Toft; Arrington and Melbourn —Abiugton Pigotts, Arrington, Barrington, Bassingbourn, Croydon, Eversden Great, Eversden Little, Foulmire, Foxton, Harlton, Haslingfield, Hatley (East), Hatley (St George), Kneesworth, Litlington, Melbourn, Meldreth, Morden (Guil-den), Morden (Steeple), Orwell, Royston, Shepreth, Shingay, Tadlow, Thriplow, Wendy, Whaddon, Wimpole; Cambridge, municipal borough.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chesterton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chesterton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chesterton (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Chesterton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.