Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire
Cherry Hinton, a parish in Cambridgeshire, under Gog-magog Hills, 2½ miles ESE of Cambridge, under which it has a post office. Acreage, 2059; population, 1537.
Cherry trees were once plentiful, saffron is produced, and chalk fossils and iron pyrites are found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely; gross yearly value, £212 with residence, in the gift of St Peter's College, Cambridge. The church is a fine building of stone and chinch in the Early English and Perpendicular styles. It was restored in 1880 and 1886, and contains some monuments of the Serocold and other families. There is a Baptist chapel. The Cambridge Waterworks are here.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cherry Hinton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Chesterton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cherry Hinton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hinton, Cherry (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cherry Hinton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.