Tharston, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, 1 mile NE of Forncett station on the G.E.R., and 9½ S by W of Norwich. Post town, Long Stratton. Acreage, 1633; population, 288. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Tharston Hall is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; commuted tithe, £'297 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is a small edifice of flint with an embattled tower, and was restored in 1881 and 1886.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tharston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Depwade|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tharston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tharston (St. Mary))
Online maps of Tharston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.