Tacolneston or Tacolston, Norfolk
Tacolneston or Tacolston, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, 3 miles WNW of Forncett Junction station on the Ipswich and Norwich section of the G.E.R., and 4½ SSE of Wymondham. It has a post office under Wymondham; money order office, Forncett St Peter; telegraph office, Wymondham. Acreage, 1592; population, 376. Tacolneston Hall is an ancient mansion of red brick, standing in a well timbered park of 100 acres. Tacolneston Old Hall, near the church, is a red brick mansion, only one wing of which now remains. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; tithe commutation, £555. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone, and was restored in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tacolneston All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Depwade|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tacolneston or Tacolston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tacolneston (All Saints))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.