Swardeston, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, 1½ mile WNW of Swainsthorpe station on the Ipswich and Norwich section of the G.E.R., and 4 miles SSW of Norwich. It has a post office under Norwich; money order office, Mulbarton; telegraph office, Eaton. Acreage, 930; population, 401. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manors belong to the Steward and Gurney families. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £133 with residence. The church is a small building of flint in the Early English style, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Swardeston St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Henstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Swardeston:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swardeston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Swardeston (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Swardeston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.