Swainsthorpe, a parish, with a village and a station, in Norfolk, on the G.E.R., 4½ miles SSW of Norwich. It has a post office under Norwich; money order office, Mulbarton; telegraph office, Eaton. Acreage, 834; population of the civil parish, 275; of the ecclesiastical, with Newton Flotman, 521. The parish is the head of a petty sessional division, and it contains the workhouse of the Henstead union, a building of red brick erected in 1836, and capable of accommodating 250 inmates.. The manor belongs to the Long family. The living is a rectory, united with Newton Flotman, in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £227 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone in mixed styles, dating in part from 1300, and consisting of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an octagonal embattled western tower. There was anciently another church, but this has entirely disappeared.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Henstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Swainsthorpe:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swainsthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Swainsthorpe)
Online maps of Swainsthorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.