Carlton cum Willingham, Cambridgeshire
Carlton-cum-Willingham, a parish in Cambridgeshire, on the borders of Suffolk, 5 miles ESE of Six-Mile-Bottom station on the G.E.R., and 7 S of Newmarket, under which it has a post and money order office of the name of Carlton; telegraph office, Little Thurlow. Acreage, 2415; population of the civil parish, 324; of the ecclesiastical, 313. Lord Hampden is lord of the manor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £180 with residence. The church of St Peter is a small ancient rubble building, in Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave; the bell turret contains two bells. It was in a very dilapidated state until restored in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Carlton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Linton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Carlton cum Willingham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Carlton (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Carlton cum Willingham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.