Stody, a parish in Norfolk, 3 miles SW of Holt, and 2 NE from Melton Constable station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway. Post town, Dereham; money order and telegraph office, Melton Constable. Acreage, 1112; population, 139. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Lothian family. The living is a rectory, united with Hunworth, in the diocese of Norwich; joint net value, £247 with residence. Patron, the Marchioness of Lothian. The church is a cruciform building in the Perpendicular style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stody St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Erpingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Stody:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stody from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stody (St. Mary))
Online maps of Stody are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.