Southwood, a parish in Norfolk, 1 mile NNE of Cantley station on the Norwich and Lowestoft section of the G.E.R., and 10 miles ESE of Norwich. Post town, Arle; money order and telegraph office, Beedham (R.S.O.) Acreage, 439; population of the civil parish, 54; of the ecclesiastical, 258. The manor belongs to the Nevill family. The living is a rectory, united with Limpenhoe, in the diocese of Norwich; joint net value, £156 with residence. The church, a building of flint in the Gothic style, is now in ruins.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Southwood St. Edmund|
|Poor Law union||Blofield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Southwood:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southwood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Southwood (St. Edmund))
Online maps of Southwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.