Shimpling, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, half a mile E of Burston station on the Ipswich and Norwich section of the G.E.R., and 3½ miles NE of Diss. Post town, Scole; money order and telegraph office, Dickleborough. Acreage, 797; population, 168. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £169 with residence. The church is an edifice of flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of an Early English chancel, nave, N porch, and a round western tower surmounted by an octagonal belfry and a small spire of wood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shimpling St. George|
|Poor Law union||Depwade|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Shimpling:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shimpling from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shimpling (St. George))
Online maps of Shimpling are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.