Scarning, a parish, with a village, in Norfolk, 2 miles E from Wendling station on the Lynn and Dereham section of the G.E.R., and 2½ W by S of East Dereham. It has a post office under Dereham; money order and telegraph office, Dereham. Acreage, 3494; population, 682. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich; net value, £286 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Gothic style of the 15th century, and consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and chantry-chapel, with a fine porch and a massive tower. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels, a fuel allotment of 14 acres, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Scarning St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Mitford and Launditch|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Scarning:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Scarning from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Scarning (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Scarning are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.