Ridlington, a parish in Norfolk, near the coast, 4½ miles E of North Walsham, and 3½ N by E of Honing station on the Midland and Great Northern Joint railway. It has a, post office under North Walsham; money order and telegraph office, Bacton. Acreage, 645; population, 217. The manor belongs to the Shepheard family. The living is a rectory in. The diocese of Norwich; net value, £119, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberiey. The church is a building of flint, consisting of chancel; nave, S porch, and an embattled western-tower, with figures of the four evangelists in the place of pinnacles.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ridlington St. Peter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Ridlington:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ridlington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ridlington (St. Peter))
Online maps of Ridlington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.