Riddlesworth, a parish in Norfolk, on the Little Ouse river, at the boundary with Suffolk, near the Peddar Way, H miles SSW of Harling Road station on the Thetford and Norwich section of the G.E.R., and 6 E by S of Thetford.. It has a post office under Thetford; money order and telegraph office, Hopton. Acreage, 1167; population of the civil parish, 85; of the ecclesiastical, 241. The manor, with Riddlesworth Hall, a handsome mansion of white brick standing in a park of 120 acres, was sold in 1894 to Mr W. N. Champion. The living is a rectory, united with Gasthorpe and Knettishall, in the diocese of Norwich; joint net value, £260 with residence. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave,. S porch, and an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Riddlesworth St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Guiltcross|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Riddlesworth with Gasthorpe:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Riddlesworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Riddlesworth (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:
- Norwich Mercury
- Norfolk Chronicle
- Diss Express
- Thetford & Watton Times and People's Weekly Journal
- Norfolk News
The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.