UK Genealogy Archives logo

Old Buckenham, Norfolk

Historical Description

Buckenham, Old, a pleasant and very salubrious village in Norfolk, for the most part surrounding a park or green of 40 acres, 3 miles SSE of Attleborough station on the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office under Attleborough; telegraph office, New Buckenham. Acreage of parish, 5024; population, 1063. There is a fine old parish church with thatched roof, the patronage of which is vested in a body of resident trustees; value of the benefice, £86 per annum. The manor was given by the Conqueror to William d'Albini, and in 1146 William d'Albini the younger, Earl of Arundel, founded a priory here for Austin monks, and another for Augustine canons. A castle was built here by him on the site of an old Saxon castle, and as he made it his residence, the place was formerly of considerable importance. The castle is now in ruins. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels, and charities worth about £105 a year.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorfolk 
Ecclesiastical parishBuckenham All Saints 
HundredShropham 
Poor Law unionGuiltcross 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Norfolk Record Office, have images of the Parish Registers for Norfolk online.

Findmypast, in conjunction with Norfolk Record Office have the following parish records online for Old Buckenham:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1648-19081648-19081649-19071648-1901


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Old Buckenham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Old Buckenham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Norfolk newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Norfolk 1563, 1589, and 1613 is available on the Heraldry page.

DistrictBreckland
CountyNorfolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtNR17
Post TownAttleborough