Burrough Green, Cambridgeshire
Burrough-Green, a parish in Cambridgeshire, 2½ miles ESE of Dullingham station on the G.E.R., and 5½ S of Newmarket. Post town, Newmarket, Six Mile Bottom (S.O.); money order office, Brinkley; telegraph office, Stetchworth. Acreage, 2272; population, 430. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £290 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Early English and Decorated styles, and has a tower and several ancient monuments. There is a small endowed school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burrough-Green St. Augustine|
|Poor Law union||Newmarket|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1571.
Church of England
St. Augustine (parish church)
The church of St. Augustine is an ancient structure of flint, with stone dressings, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells, restored in 1710: in the north wall of the chancel are three richly ornamented arched recesses, one of which incloses the recumbent effigy of a knight in armour with crossed legs; the next has also a male effigy with a female figure resting beside it; and the third incloses the effigy of a Norman knight, with another of a squire or attendant at the foot, un-armoured; another figure, female, has been removed to the west end of the church; the whole are mutilated and without dates or names, but are presumed to be to the De Burgh family: the font is dated 1672, but the most ancient portions of the church probably date from the 13th century: the building was restored and new-roofed in 1878-90 at a cost of £725, and the organ restored in 1903 at a cost of £140: the church affords 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burrough Green from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burrough-Green (St. Augustine))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cambridgeshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Burrough Green are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cambridgeshire papers online:
- Cambridge Independent Press
- Cambridge Chronicle and Journal
- Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette
The Visitations of Cambridgeshire 1575 and 1619 is available online.